What Makes Smart Thermostats So Smart?
Smart thermostats are loaded with features that make it easy to save energy and money. They eliminate confusing programming, adapt to your preferred heating and cooling schedule, can be controlled from anywhere using a smart phone, and so much more...
Smart Thermostat Features
Many of our smart thermostats share the following features. You can learn more about the specifics of each thermostat in the chart below or on the associated product page.
- Learning Ability: Thermostats with learning ability will automatically adjust settings based on your personal preferences and schedule, resulting in increased savings over time.
- Occupancy Sensing: Thermostats with occupancy sensing technology go into an energy-saving mode when no one is present, so you never have to worry about turning the thermostat down when you leave. Occupancy sensors may be integrated or separate, depending on the model.
- Geofencing: Geofencing uses your connected smartphone to determine your location and make thermostat adjustments accordingly. When you are away,, energy-saving mode is enabled. When you return, your thermostat turns back up.
- Smart Sensors: Remote temperature sensors allow the thermostat to determine the temperature in the rooms where the sensors are placed, not just where the thermostat is located. This helps customize comfort in every room. Smart sensors are sold separately, but are included with some models.
- App Alerts: When connected to a thermostat's app, you can get helpful reminders and alerts sent to your phone. Get reminded when it's time to replace your furnace filters or get notified when extreme temperatures are sensed, indicating your furnace may be malfunctioning.
- Energy Reports: Energy usage reports show you how much energy you've used and teach you how to use less.
- ENERGY STAR Certified: ENERGY STAR thermostats have been independently certified to deliver energy savings. These are the smartest of the Wi-Fi thermostats available and include top-of-the-line features to help you manage your energy use.
How Do Smart Thermostats Help Save?
Smart thermostats can help you lower your energy needs, which saves you money and decreases your environmental impact.
Use 15% Less Energy
According to the Department of Energy, when programmed properly, a smart thermostat can reduce energy use from 5%-15% per year. Simply program your thermostat to adjust automatically during specific times such as at night when you sleep or during the day while you are at work.
Save $180 A Year
ENERGY STAR© estimates the average U.S. homeowner can save up to $180 per year by programming their thermostat properly. Those savings really add up, and smart thermostats make it so easy!
Use this table to compare smart thermostat models and features.
|Nest Learning||Nest Thermostat E||ecobee Smart Thermostat||ecobee3 lite||Honeywell T5|
|System Compatability||Check Here||Check Here||Check Here||Check Here||Check Here|
|Learns User Habits||Y||Y||Y||Y|
|Built in Voice Control||Y|
|Works w/ Sensors||Y||Y||Y||Y|
|Warranty||2 Years||1 Year||3 Years||3 Years||2 Years|
|ENERGY STAR Cert.||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y|